Facts of Michael Jordan
The highest paid athlete of all time between 1984 and 2016, Michael Jordan is a former American professional basketball player, active businessman and a majority owner of the professional basketball team Charlotte Bobcat. The 2009 Hall of Famer is estimated to have the net worth of around $1.7 billion.
Throughout his career, Jordan has gained huge fame and fortune. He has been a five-time NBA Most Valuable Player, a 14-time NBA All-Star, a six-time NBA Finals MVP, and a six-time NBA champion.
Michael Jordan Net Worth Details, Salary, And Income sources
Michael Jordan is estimated to have a net worth of a staggering amount of around $1.7 billion. He mainly earns more than half of his income from his shoe business of Nike (62.43%). A source confirmed that Jordan earns 5.18% of net worth from the professional career as an American basketball player and 32.40% from endorsement deals.
As per a verified source PayScale, an average salary of a basketball player in the United States is estimated to be around $85 thousand. Actually, the salary ranges in between $60 thousand to $108 thousand.
The NBA player has earned a lot of money throughout and after his career. Michael Jordan’s net worth and salaries details throughout the years from 1984 to till date are listed below:
Net worth 1984: $436,150
- Notable events & Earnings: Five year deal with Nike ($12,500,000), Seven year contract with Chicago Bulls ($6,300,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($550,000), Endorsement deal with Nike ($2,500,000).
Net worth 1985: $1,493,246
- Notable Events: Salary from Chicago Bulls ($630,000)
Net worth 1986: $3,179,755
- Notable events: Salary from Chicago Bulls ($737,500)
Net worth 1987: $6,196,312
- Notable events: Salary from Chicago Bulls ($845,000)
Net worth 1988: $13,040,864
- Notable events: Endorsement deal from Wheaties ($2,000,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($2,000,000), extended eight years contract with Chicago Bulls ($25,700,000)
Net worth 1989: $21,299,349
- Notable events: Endorsement deal with Hanes ($10,000,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($2,250,000)
Net worth 1990: $32,604,129
- Notable events: Endorsement deal with Ball Park Franks ($2,000,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($2,250,000)
Net worth 1991: $44,795,044
- Notable events: Endorsement deal with Gatorade ($13,500,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($3,250,000)
Net worth 1992: $57,385,698
- Notable events: Salary from Chicago Bulls ($3,250,000)
Net worth 1993: $72,371,700
- Notable events: Salary from Chicago Bulls ($4,000,000)
Net worth 1994: $87,849,093
- Notable events: Salary from Chicago Bulls ($3,850,000)
Net worth 1995: $103,833,990
- Notable events: Endorsement deal with Oakley ($2,000,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($3,850,000), Endorsement deal with MCI ($2,000,000)
Net worth 1996: $129,303,931
- Notable events: One-year contract with Chicago Bulls ($30,140,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($30,140,000), Earning from movie Space Jam ($20,000,000)
Net worth 1997: $158,047,507
- Notable events: One-year contract with Chicago Bulls ($33,140,000), Salary from Chicago Bulls ($33,140,000)
Net worth 1998: $188,923,085
Net worth 1999: $211,691,573
Net worth 2000: $235,206,640
Net worth 2001: $261,475,265
- Notable events: Two-year contract with Washington Wizards ($2,030,000), Salary from Washington Wizards ($1,000,000)
Net worth 2002: $298,660,479
Net worth 2003: $337,064,997
- Notable events: Salary from Washington Wizards ($1,030,000), Income ($35 Million)
Net worth 2004: $376,332,298
- Notable events: Income ($33 Million)
Net worth 2005: $416,887,174
- Notable events: Income ($32 Million)
Net worth 2006: $458,771,844
- Notable events: Income ($31 Million)
- Expense: He divorced first wife Juanita Vanoy and paid $168 million which is the most expensive divorce settlement till date.
Net worth 2007: $502,029,913
- Notable events: Income ($45 Thousand), Endorsement deal with Nike ($110,000,000)
Net worth 2008: $546,706,414
- Notable events: Income ($45 Million)
Net worth 2009: $594,830,357
- Notable events: Income ($55 Million)
Net worth 2010: $644,532,285
Net worth 2011: $695,863,938
Net worth 2012: $753,636,757
Net worth 2013: $825,198,946
- Notable events: As of Jan 2013, value of his 80% Stake in Charlotte Bobcats ($252,000,000), Endorsements earning from Nike, Gatorade, Hanes, Upper Deck, 2K Sports, Presbyterian Healthcare and Five Star Fragrances ($80,000,000), Income ($90 million)
Net worth 2014: $899,107,659
- Notable events: As of Jan 2014, value of his 89% Stake in Charlotte Bobcats ($416,000,000), Income ($100 Million)
Net worth 2015: $979,404,840 excluding tax
- Notable events: Income ($110 Million)
Net worth 2016: $1,062,334,964
Net worth 2018: $1,506,357,982
Net worth 2019: $1,700,000,000
In 2010, Jordan filed a lawsuit against the grocery store for unauthorized use of his name in a steak coupon. The trial went to court in August 2015 and Dominick paid $8.9 million.
That’s not all the billionaire retired from his 15 years long basketball career on 16 April 2003 after his loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.
In the sports world, after a few years of retirement, many top class players go bankrupt but Jordan is one of the few players whose net worth went on increasing even after his retirement.
According to data of the Forbes, Jordan’s net worth mostly comes from his endorsement deals and corporate partnerships with Nike, Gatorade, McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, Wheaties and more. Moreover, Jordan was titled the highest paid athlete of all time between 1984 and 2016.
Michael Jordan Lifestyle, Assets, Properties, Expenses: House And Car
The billion dollar man lives a lavish life in his Florida Mansion. In fact, Jordan himself designed his own house which is worth $7.6 million. He bought the land for the construction in $4.8 million. The house features 11 bedrooms, a basketball court and a lavish workout facility valued at $12.4 million at present market.
Moreover, his Chicago house was originally listed for sale for $29 million in 2012. The house featuring on 56,000 square foot features nine bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, a fitness studio, and a card room, a basketball court, and a tennis court. Later, after four years in 2016, the house price was reduced to $14,855,000.
In 2013, Jordan bought another home in North Carolina for $2.8 million. 12,310 sq. ft. features 7 bedrooms and eight bathrooms. In 2011, the property was originally listed for $3.99 million and in 2012; the house was relisted for $3.49 million because of bank issues.
On the other hand, Michael Jordan seems to be an automobiles lover. He has the collection of muscle cars including
|Ferrari 512 TR||$239,900|
|Mercedes McLaren SLR||$480,000|
|Chevrolet C4 Corvette||$56,500|
|Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano||$209,086|
|black Range Rover||$83,495|
|red Cadillac XLR||$110,000|
You would think life could not get more lavish? Wrong, Jordan has bought a luxurious private jet, Gulfstream IV worth around $36 million.
The billionaire Hall of Famer has million dollars insurance of his whole body including life insurance and health insurance.
Michael Jordan Personal Details
Michael Jordan was born on 17 February 1963 in Brooklyn, New York to parents; father James R. Jordan Sr. and mother Deloris Jordan.
Taking a look at his personal life, he has been married to Yvette Prieto since 27 April 2013 and is blessed with an identical twin daughter named Victoria and Ysabel.
Previously, Jordan was married to Juanita Vanoy. The then-couple tied the knot in September 1989 and divorced on 29 December 2006. The ex-couple is blessed with three children; two sons Jeffrey Michael & Marcus James and daughter Jasmine.
It was reported that on 4 January 2002 the Jordan and Vanoy filed for divorce but were reconciled shortly thereafter. But on 29 December 2006, they dissolved their marriage. A source revealed that Juanita received a huge sum of $168 million as a settlement which was the largest celebrity divorce settlement on public record.